I just had the misfortune of actually handling a rattan bassinet and the experience was horrifying. The sharp edges on the rattan coupled with the kindling-like quality of the rattan were so dangerous I couldn't believe the bassinet was on market. Rattan is used to fuel cooking fires in many parts of the world because it is so flammable. The photo shown here is not the same one, but it is pretty close.
Plus, I doubt that the lacquer and finishes used on this type of furniture is child-safe.
Passing it on...
Perhaps if our children all slept in plastic non sustainable products they would be safer. Considering the fact that 99% of babies are not mobile at the ages they actually would be in the bassinet (0-3 mos) and the fact that any bassinet used is lined with a bumper and/or cloth, seems the only person it would actually be a danger to is the adult using it. Not to mention since the beginning of their invention, dating as far back as late 1800's, most were in their natural unfinished state (not harmful at all). Wicker products also do not spontaneously combust. So unless you are planning to set your infant in harms way next to a heater or an open fire or anything else that is flamable, there is no reason for them to catch fire other than an adults lack of lay common sense and very basic supervision. Jesus slept on straw, a natural product derived from the earth. It is our manmade non- green material that harm our children...
I posted this because I know a few people who had problems with the bassinets made of rattan. But I do wonder, as you mentioned, if the polyurethane that is frequently used to seal the natural material is to blame for the flammability.
We suggest wooden bassinets with liners, so one avoids the sharp edges on the rattan. Babies quickly start touching things, and it is hard to remember to take the bassinet away as soon as they are able to do so.
Post a Comment