This is an ideal summer project for older infants and toddlers.
1. A whisk
2. Child-safe soap
3. A washbasin
What to do:
1. Set up the washbasin outside (or inside on a surface that can get wet) and fill it 2/3 full of water.
2. Invite your child to join you.
3. Put a few drops of soap into the washbasin.
4. Swish the water around with the whisk.
5. Ask your child if he or she would like to try.
6. Let your child whisk away!
After your child is finished with the exercise, the two of you can share cleanup. The reason to share cleanup is to create a joyful environment in which your child takes pride in his or her ability to keep the work area neat and tidy. You can create a special spot on a low shelf near a sink for the washbasin, soap, and whisk, so that your child can set it up at anytime. If the material will be used indoors, add a plastic cloth for the floor and a sponge for spills.
Visit our site for a formal Montessori curriculum for infants and toddlers to use at home.
Adventures in Autism
11 years ago